Gardening with Gratitude



It's not lost on me these days how much privilege I walk in daily. We have a beautiful home, in a safe neighborhood, multiple friends outside of our doors just minutes or a phone call away. We lack for nothing it seems compared to so so many people in our world.

What is happening in our country right now leaves me feeling sick to my stomach on a daily basis, and yet, in other parts of the world, thousands upon thousands of children, families, people are dying of starvation, lack of clean water and shelter. It's nearly 2020. How is this still happening? What, if anything can I do from my little corner of the world all the way in Northern Colorado, among my air conditioned home filled with comfortable seating and options for what clothes I will wear each day.

Gratitude.

It's a decision. Should I feel bad about the things we have? No, I don't think so. However, it would be a great travesty if I walked acting as if I shouldn't continually find myself so grateful for all the things we have - both physically but also mentally and spiritually. I live in a beautiful part of the world and I am so so incredibly thankful for that. Where you are born can often be the sole determiner in how your life is played out. None of us really got to choose that did we?

So today I decided to act on something I've had my heart set on for awhile. It's small. Maybe even insignificant actually but I hope it can bring light to someone and health and remind them of ways they can be thankful as well.

We have a garden. It's beautiful. It's full of life and vegetation that I'm proud to say is now feeding our family through the summer and the tastebuds in my mouth are extremely grateful. We have multiple varieties of squash, some snap peas, tomatoes almost ripe enough, cantaloupe on the way, and the second harvest of strawberries coming later next month. We have more than we need.

I put a wire basket outside today during naps and went through and picked what is ready to pluck off the vine and be cooked up. For any neighbors who may meander by on their way to mailbox, or friends who live across town and would like some fresh produce -- this is for you. Please enjoy our garden alongside us. Fill your bellies with delicious fresh vegetables and leave nothing in return.

We are in this life together. Let's help each other out more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amity's Big Debut in Album Art!

One of the Hardest Weeks

Giggling, Smiling, and Growing Up So Quickly!